Thursday, March 17, 2011

Germs, Germs Go Away!

I am utterly heartbroken and at a loss of what to do.  My poor Mia is sick again!  I feel like screaming because this child just got over a bad flu last month and here we go again.  I thought I was doing everything right...I chose to keep her out of daycare, I keep an uber clean home, I wash and sanitize like a mad woman, I attempt to keep her from other sick children, and I breastfed for the first 4.5 months.

So maybe I have fallen short in some areas...maybe I should have fought harder to breastfeed her longer (although my milk upset her belly), maybe I shouldn't let her touch the shopping cart at the grocery store (even though I wiped it with sanitizer), or let the dogs kiss her face, or let her play with other kids toys since she puts everything in her mouth.  Maybe we shouldn't go to so many playdates were she has more chance of getting exposed to sick children.  Maybe I am just a loon for thinking I can bring my baby up in a germ free world.

But, here we are again with a burning hot baby and I am trying to figure out what to do.  It sucks that basically all I can give her is some fever reducer (that doesn't reduce too much) and consider another trip to the doc for their opinion which I am not leaning toward.  Last time we went to the doctor (incuring almost $500 in medical bills) we got to stand by and watch them torture her with a cathereter and take multiple blood samples as we were given the possibility of a spinal tap.  All said and done there was never a solution or a simple diagnosis after 2 days of visits and tests.  We were basically told to let it ride out; told all was well even to the point that her temperature reached a scorching 104.5.

I would do anything for her to feel better.  There is nothing worse than seeing our goofy, happy-go-lucky baby not laugh or smile but look miserable and feel like she has been baking in the oven.  And although I don't feel so hot myself I would triple my pain for her to be happy. 

1 comment:

  1. So sorry Mia... I hate it when the babies are sick becuase there isn't a whole lot you can do for them. What Ped do you use? A girlfriend of mine uses a Franklin Ped and swears by them. He just diagnosed her son with a Hot Fever Virus (He had a 104.5 temp and throwing up, buring up and shaking) in a hour with out hardly any invasive procedures. Put him on meds and he is on his way to feeling better. Anways...hope she gets to feeling better, and I definitely want to get together for playdate ASAP! Love that we have a bond now of babies, took us long enough :)

    ReplyDelete