Monday, April 18, 2011

Hello My name is Mia's mom

While at the library today Mia made a new buddy.  There was an equally pudgy 8 month old little girl, Elli, and her mom who we sat next to during storytime.  The two girls bonded over their slobber covered toys which they were happy to share with one another as her mother and I compared their milestones.  We had a lot in common as did the little ones who were so close in age and size (which is a rarety for my little chunk).  We talked about seeing one another again at the next storytime and off we went.  On the way home I realized I didn't even know her name and neither did she know mine.  Both of us introduced our daughters, never exchanging our own names. 

It's become appearent that my identity has been buried in Mia's.  My world revolves around my child and I have become so consumed that I forget that I am Kristin, not just Mia's mom.  I have an amazing husband who is not just Mia's daddy and great friends who are not just the parents of Mia's playmates.  It's crazy how quickly this can be forgotten and all you think about about is your children.  Other than introducing my daughter before myself to new people, I spend more time picking her clothes out in the morning then my own, almost every book on my Nook has to do with parenting, recently the one day that I got the green light to shop for myself I blew almost my whole budget at the Children's Place, and of course, I have a blog dedicated entirely to Mia.

When I sit and think of all the changes that have taken place in my life this past year and a half I'm taken by surprise.  I never dreamed I would be a mom at this point in life.  My five year plan was basically continueing the climb up that career ladder and traveling with my husband.  Then one week my sister (Aunt Caca) and her family came for a visit.  She had been living in Alaska the past two years and it had been about that long since I'd seen my nephew (6 yrs) and my neice (2 yrs).  The trip fell around my sister and brother in law's anniversary so my mom kept my nephew while Justin and I offered to take my neice back to Franklin with us for the night.  I had such an amazing time with her that day shopping and going out to lunch (just us gals) and then reading her a story and cuddling that night...I got a quick glimpse into motherhood. 

However, I didn't get bit by the maternal bug until the morning I had to take them to the airport.  My sister and I are very close friends and being that far away from her was extremely hard on me, but I was used to the kids being away because I hadn't spent that much time with them at that point (military family).  I got that lump in my throat and did my best to hold back the tears when I had to say goodbye although a few slipped.  Then I got home and was unloading the carseat from my car and my neice's My Little Pony fell on the driveway...I completely lost it!  I cried my heart out for the little girl I didn't think I was going to get to see grow up and it was then I knew for sure I wanted one of my own.  I began praying for God to bless us with a daughter; I got Justin on board (the trying to make a baby part always sounds like fun) and here we are...Mr. and Mrs. Mia's Parents.

We have changed just about everything in our lives to make hers as special as it can be and I would never call any of those changes sacrifices.  So far I think we are great parents and I hope we are making God proud of the job we are doing.  However, we are still Kristin and Justin have to put ourselves in check sometimes and not spend a whole date night discussing Mia and put just as much energy into being good to ourselves and our marriage.

News update... for those who don't know, my brother in law got stationed in Ft. Campbell a few months back so now our daughters will get to grow up together. God is good!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment